General Counsel – Bittrex Global
Role: General Counsel, Bittrex Global
Reporting to: Stephen Stonberg (CEO)
Start date: As soon as possible
About Bittrex Global
We are seeking to appoint the first General Counsel for Bittrex Global, the international arm of US headquartered Bittrex a leader in the blockchain revolution. The company was formed in Seattle in 2013 by three digital security experts (ex-Amazon, Blackberry and Microsoft) and is renowned for its exceptional security standards.
“Bittrex Global is one of the most reliable and secure trading platforms in the world. Built on Bittrex’s cutting-edge technology, Bittrex Global provides an institutional grade experience for professional and novice customers alike consisting of industry-leading security, compliance, and trading practices. Our mission is to advance the blockchain industry by fostering innovation, incubating new and emerging technologies, and driving transformative change. We are looking for a talented individual that will help us push the boundaries of blockchain technology and drive innovation within the industry.”
The company is undergoing a period of unprecedented growth both in terms of its market reach and its product offering, and the General Counsel will be expected to play key leadership role on that journey. You can view more about the company, including interviews with key people, on its social media at: Bittrex Global Twitter / Bittrex Global YouTube / Bittrex Global Medium
Bittrex Global Leadership Team
Stephen Stonberg (CEO)
About the Role
Opportunities like this do not come around often. As the cryptocurrency revolution gathers pace, Bittrex Global is at the vanguard, and growing fast. It is ready to appoint its first General Counsel, and make no mistake, this is a role that really does offer unrivalled potential. Working closely with the CEO and leadership team, you can expect a wide range of responsibilities, spanning everything from day-to-day legal matters to high-level business-critical issues.
- Advise on the full gamut of routine commercial and contractual legal matters;
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams to provide guidance on the new product offerings which will propel the business forward;
- Ensure product compliance with applicable international laws and regulation by collaborating with various internal compliance stakeholders;
- Facilitate in filing of licensing forms and regularly updating other statutory requirements to ensure global compliance;
- Provide guidance on navigating complex regulatory requirements with a compliance focused but business minded approach;
- Lead on all legal matters relating to the company’s expansion of its operations into new sectors and locations;
- Working with and overseeing outside counsel in jurisdictions including, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Jersey, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland.
This is the fast-track and it promises to be demanding, rewarding, and for the right person, career defining. It will suit an entrepreneurial individual who is able to provide legal leadership and proactively contribute to the development of the company’s profile and business on a strategic level.
You will be an outstanding deal lawyer who is accustomed to handling complex and time pressurised cross-border work, perhaps already in-house, or perhaps in a major international law firm. Cryptocurrency experience, whilst valuable, is not essential, but you will be a highly motivated individual with the legal expertise and commercial nous to thrive in this most dynamic of markets.
- England & Wales (or equivalent Commonwealth) qualified lawyer with City experience;
- Recent work experience in England & Wales (or equivalent Commonwealth) law required
- 6+ years’ experience working at a financial services institution such as hedge fund, investment bank, and/or a top-tier law firm working with financial services institutions;
- Experience working with global financial regulators;
- Experience of/interest in the cryptocurrency sector;
- Highly commercial and ambitious and with the drive to execute in a time pressurised environment;
- Willing and able to travel with some regularity.
Stephen Stonberg: firstname.lastname@example.org
Zurich, ZH, Switzerland